Monday, August 6, 2018

Light in the Darkness

This is the first in a series of articles that I wrote about the issue of suicide and depression for our local paper, The Oakland Independent, in July 2018.

When I was in my early 20's, my life was falling apart. I was having a spiritual/emotional crisis of guilt and failure and I was in an unhealthy relationship with a young woman.  I felt like I was worthless or even harmful to God, to my family, to my girlfriend, and to everyone else, and that it would be better for everyone if I just took my life. I was depressed enough that one day I stood at the top of 100 ft cliff in the Black Hills and nearly jumped off, head first. Now just because I have had times of depression and a desire to commit suicide does not mean I can understand everyone's else motivations as they contemplate or try to commit suicide, but it does mean that I take someone seriously when I hear about their desire to stop living.

In our local community and around the nation, we have an epidemic of suicide, depression and various other mental illnesses that come along with and contribute to depression. Furthermore, opioid and other drug addictions are other signs that many people in our communities are struggling with many mental issues. In the next few articles, I want to address what, if anything, God says to us that might help us address our own personal demons or point some loved one in a healthier direction.

Now I will not be suggesting though, an easy solution or one size fits all for most people. For most people, it is not simply a "pray the sad away" or just "have more faith" solution. Often, there are multiple causes of long-term depression, so I recommend a multifaceted approach in dealing with their problems. In most cases, finding a good counselor, who helps you examine unhealthy thoughts and actions along with unresolved past issues, will be necessary. Also, for some people medication can be helpful to address chemical imbalances that impact their moods and energy levels.

What I am suggesting though is that often spiritual beliefs about meaning and our place in the world are part of the problem and should be addressed as part of the plan leading to a better life. Bad ideas lead to bad thoughts which have consequences both personally and socially. God has us told us about Himself, our world, and even ourselves, and when we begin to know and believe His perspective on reality, we can face the practical problems of day to day life with a new and better perspective.

In my life, I have gone through depression, great personal loss, and tough financial and relational circumstances, and the more I have learned and trusted what God says, the better I am able to walk through the dark valleys of life.  I have learned that no matter what, my life has a purpose, the circumstances cannot make me hopeless, and I am loved. In the next three articles, I will show you what God says about these topics. In the meantime, I encourage you to start reading the Bible on your own to get God's perspective on life.

Psalm 18:28 "For it is you who light my lamp; the Lord my God lightens my darkness."
Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

No comments: