Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Are you loved?

The last in my series of article on depression and suicide written for the Oakland Independent in July 2018.

In an article earlier this month, I told the story of my depression and near suicide in my young adult life. I stood at the top of a cliff in the Black Hills and nearly jumped, and I believe if not for one factor, I would have jumped. That one factor was that I knew my parents loved me and that it would hurt greatly if I jumped. Later in the year, as I was still very depressed and suicidal, my dad called me and said, "Mike if you need to, you can just drop everything and come home." In that moment, I realized that my Dad loved me not because of what I did or did not do, but simply because I was his son. I did not have to earn his love!


That fact that I knew someone loved me unconditionally was a huge factor in helping me decide not to commit suicide and in gave me a safe place to go to work through my depression. The feeling of being alone and unloved is one of the primary causes of depression. I frequently meet people who are almost completely alone in the world. They have lost connection with family, they have no friends, and often their primary or only contact with the outside world is an electronic screen. The breakdown of family and social structures along with the isolating influence of electronics has created a situation for many people where they feel no love from anyone. Perhaps you have felt this way. Maybe you have been in a situation where you think that if you left town or died, no one would care.

God wants you to know that is not true! Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). Jesus came to save you and me not just other people. He came because He loves us and wants us to be with Him forever! Maybe you think you are not good enough for God to love, but it does not matter how good or bad you are, because He loves unconditionally. "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). God does not love you after you do something for Him or after you start to love Him. Rather He declares His love for you right now, wherever you are. He took the action necessary to show His love. The creator of the universe, who is always everywhere, all the time, loves you. You do not need to feel alone and unloved if you really believe that Jesus died to bring you back into relationship with your maker. If you believe that Jesus lived, died, and rose again because of His love for you and surrender your life to Him, then you can know that He is with you and that you are not alone. 

For those of us that have already experienced God's love and know that He has provided us with a family and friends who really care about us, then we have love to give away. He pours His love into us (Romans 5:5), and then we should pour His love on to others. All around us there are hurting, lonely, depressed people that need to know that they are loved. I encourage you to take the time to walk across the street to that elderly neighbor's house who you have not seen out much. Pay attention to the people in rental properties who often move so much that they do not form lasting friendships. Help them move in, invite them over for dinner, or plan fun events with other Christians and then invite the new neighbors too. Go visit the sick in the hospital and care centers. Showing Christ's love is simply a matter of helpful hands and listening ears. If we show His love in these practical ways, then it reveals that we truly know Jesus and His love (Matthew 25:31-40). 

I can tell you from real life experience on both sides of this coin that being shown love and giving love is the best thing in this life and the next (1 Corinthians 13:13). Know that God loves you and then show others that God loves them.

No comments: