Sunday, November 5, 2023

The Bible Works

 



Last week, I got upset with someone, or more accurately, someone became upset with me, which "caused" me to become upset with them. I was feeling quite emotional at the time (I had knee surgery last week, so I was tired and sore), so I didn't handle my emotions very well, and I had to exit the conversation. After leaving, I began to reflect on some of the biblical principles of conflict resolution that I have often taught to others. Using these principles, I began to assess the situation and my emotions.

I realized that my identity needed to be grounded in what God says about me, and that my life and actions needed to begin with a willingness to glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31), which is the first biblical principle of reconciliation I have learned. Then I needed to examine myself to see if I had a log in my eye, even though in my spirit, I wanted to remain resentful and blame the other person. In this reflection, I was able to recognize that I had sinned in my attitude and response. Before blaming the other person, I needed to repent to the Lord (1 John 1:9) and then ask the other person for forgiveness (Matt. 5:23). Therefore, it became clear to me that I had to seek reconciliation with my Christian friend (Romans 12:18). After a few minutes of more rational conversation and some apologies exchanged, we were reconciled. Our friendship was renewed, and we both learned more about reconciliation and how to love each other better.
Because I had specifically studied what the Bible had to say about repentance, forgiveness, and reconciliation, I knew what God wanted me to do in this type of situation. At that point, it was not a lack of knowledge but a decision of the will, whether I would obey or not, and whether I would truly trust that God knows best about how I should live my life.

God has laid out many truths in His Word about salvation, about what is right and wrong, about how we are created to live and love Him and others. When we know these truths, believe these truths, and act on these truths, our lives are better because, as our Creator, God knows best. Following His Word helps us have confidence in our eternal relationship with Jesus, have better marriages, be better parents, learn to honor our parents, be better citizens, be better friends, find and use our spiritual gifts, be more honest, be more humble, be better church members, be better employees, or students. In these and many other ways, if we spend time learning God's Word, then believe its truth and act upon it, we will be better humans.

If you don't believe me, I challenge you to read some of the Bible daily and find one truth to meditate upon, and then try to apply it in your life. Test God's Word and see if it contains both the big truths of life and eternity, but also truths that help you live from day to day.


No comments: